Monday, October 12, 2009

New Gigabit NIC

A couple of weeks ago I installed a new NIC in my aging emachines box. The computer has an integrated 100 mbit NIC on the mobo which has been working just fine, but I have recently been upgrading my equipment to gigabit. My new D-Link DIR-855 Wireless N/gigabit router is the new core of our home network. Our 1 TB Buffalo TeraStation supports 1 gbit links, and now my main computer also does. I really wanted this to speed up my Ghost backups to the TeraStation.

It took a long time for me to decide which NIC to get for my PCI Express mobo. After a bunch of research, I finally decided on the D-Link DGE-560T. There are conflicting reviews out there on its worth, but I decided its cost was low enough that I could afford to take a chance.

Happily, the card has been working well, and after disabling the integrated NIC in the BIOS, it really was plug-n-play, even on this Vista 64 box. I did have one problem after the install, which was that the security rights got screwed up on a Windows system folder. I figured out how to solve that, though, and blogged about it here.

Here's a picture of the NIC. It is very small, smaller than I expected. The card edge occupies just a small portion of the PCI Express slot on the mobo.

No comments:

Post a Comment